When you were driving through the streets of Slidell of St. Tammany Parish, Louisiana, you weren’t expecting to get in an auto accident. You have insurance, but the damage to your car is pretty extensive. What should you do? Once you’re in an accident, there are a few things that you should do immediately:
- Take pictures of all the damage to persons, property and of the accident scene. In the event that there are conflicting stories, this will help the insurance companies assess the damage done to each car. Be sure to take pictures from various angles and distances to get close-up documentation of the damage and an overall picture of the accident scene.
- If possible, move your car to the side of the road immediately to avoid causing any more damage. This will allow traffic to move freely around you and give you space to have a discussion with the other driver.
- Check yourself and any passengers for injuries.
- Call emergency services. Tell them where you are located and if anyone is injured.
Call 985-641-5570 or toll free 800-375-5291 today
for the legal advice and representation you need for your
Car Accident case in Slidell, Louisiana!
- Get the other driver’s information. Exchange insurance details and, if possible, phone numbers as well.
- Ask witnesses for their information. Your insurance company and law enforcement personnel might want to interview them to get a clearer picture of what happened.
- Don’t admit guilt or fault to anyone. This can cause problems later when you’re filing your claim.
- File a report with law enforcement. A lot of insurance companies will expect to see documentation from a law enforcement officer when they process your claim. This can be important because this gives the insurance company a third-party impartial view of the situation. Do not give a statement to anyone except a law enforcement officer until after you have obtained legal advice.
- Contact a lawyer. If you or a passenger has been seriously injured, or you have lost a loved one in a serious accident, a lawyer’s assistance can help you seek the justice you deserve.
These are a few of the things you should keep in mind when you’re in an accident in Slidell, Louisiana. If you were injured or suffered extensive property damage due to another driver’s negligence, you may be entitled to compensation.
The Law Offices of Edward A. Shamis, Jr., J.D., P.C.
The Law Offices of Edward A. Shamis, Jr., J.D., P.C. in Slidell, Louisiana has extensive experience handling all types of auto accidents, including car accidents, motorcycle accidents, trucking accidents, drunk driving accidents, distracted driver accidents and more. If you’ve been seriously injured in an accident, contact us. We have more than 37 years of experience with Louisiana auto accident cases that can help us fight for your justice in court.